26 July 2011

This is sweet

I just cancelled three PayPal accounts; My company account, my personal US account and my Australian account. I have been a PayPal customer almost 10 years.

I had previously bought some software from this company http://www.sveasoft.com/ and found it to be quite good. My only issue is they they set up a subscription for $25 per year. After the first unexpected $25 charge I chalked it up to experience and cancelled the subscription.

I needed an updated version of the Sveasoft software so I paid the $25 using PayPal and got... nothing.

A very short Web search shows that the Sveasoft company imploded a few years ago leaving an unstable individual who does nothing except subscription fees with his PayPal account, yet the Sveasoft Website still looks slick and its shiny Pay Now button leads to the PayPal site with a statement "PayPal securely processes payments for Sveasoft..."

I suppose that is correct. Sveasoft (or its remnant individual) has securely got hold of my money and PayPal has made sure they keep it.

I opened a dispute and got the reply "PayPal was not able to resolve this case because the item in question was virtual or intangible."

So PayPal advertises itself as a safe way to pay, which is false. It may be a sort of safe way to pay for tangible goods. I have been ripped off twice and succeeded in claiming money back once, although the effort was hardly worth the $300 I got back.

PayPal not a safe way to pay for software, downloads, services or any one of many new products. There should be a warning on its front page to this effect. There is not. PayPal is therefore fraudulently misrepresenting its services.

So. It is time to start a sweet scam.
  • Put together a Website selling software that does something like making DJ style mix tapes. It need not be real but there should be pictures of girls having fun using it. It should not cost much, maybe $15, so that disputing the charge is too much trouble.
  • Put a big shiny PayPal button on there. "Pay Safely with PayPal."
  • Wait until suckers pay you and watch the money come in.

Evidently Sveasoft has been doing this since 2008 and PayPal just keeps paying them.

No comments: